The Cougar Athletic program is proud to have an Academic Advisor for Athletes that works exclusively with our student athletes. Tony Thompson has served Taft College in Student Services as an Academic Advisor since 1987. In 2000, he began to work exclusively with our student athletes. His experience both as a long time Baseball Head Coach (17 years) and as an Academic Advisor provides him with a unique blend of experience in being able to provide sound academic guidance to our student athletes. Among services provided to our student athletes include, but are not limited to:
- Providing student athletes with guidance on what classes are needed for graduation from Taft College with their two-year Associates degree
- Development of a two-year Individual Education Plan
- California Community College Athletic Association eligibility requirements
- Transfer requirements as a student athlete to NCAA and NAIA universities
- Information about special programs and resources on campus
In addition to his Academic Advising duties at Taft College, Tony is also a Professor of Health Education. He is currently serving as the President of the 3C4A (Community College Counselors/Advisors Academic Association for Athletes) in the community college system in California. His educational background includes an AA degree from Hutchinson Community College (Kansas), two years at The University of Texas-El Paso, Bachelor’s degree from Kansas Newman College (now Newman University), and a Master’s degree in Physical Education with an emphasis in Sports Administration from Wichita State University.